My point is - who doesn't like cake? Especially THIS cake!
|From scratch. No lie.|
This kinda thing isn't a normal occurence in our house. I made this for Brad for Father's Day. It's his favorite, and you couldn't ask, hope or pray for a better Dad than him, so it was well worth the effort!
So one day I was looking at Pinterest, like I do, and saw a scrumptious picture of said cake. I clicked through only to find that whomever had originally pinned the image (not the one above, that's MY cake!) did it from a members only forum. I was devestated. OK, not really, but I commented on the pin and then some helpful soul replied that it was on Allrecipes.com. What's funny is that I was ON Allrecipes.com at that very moment (but wasn't looking for cake).
So here is the recipe! It isn't hard, but does dirty up a lot of dishes. Totally worth it.
German Chocolate Upside Down Cake - or -
Upside Down German Chocolate Cake. Whatever
1 1/4 cups water
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup flaked coconut
2 cups miniature marshmallows
1 cup chopped walnuts
4 (1 ounce) squares German sweet chocolate
1/2 cup water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. (Thanks Pinterest! I just learned how to do that little degree thingy!)
- In a sauce pan, combine 1 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup butter or margarine. Heat until butter melts, then stir in brown sugar and coconut. Pour into ungreased 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle marshmallows and nuts over top. set aside.
|The top. Or bottom. I guess it depends on your perspective and time of reference.|
- For the cake: in a saucepan over low heat, combine chocolate with 1/2 cup water. Heat, stirring, until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, soda and salt. Add sour cream, 1/2 cup butter or margarine, vanilla and eggs. Add chocolate mixture and beat 3 minutes. Carefully spoon batter over coconut marshmallow mixture in pan.
|Yummy, delicious cake batter...|
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Place pan on foil or cookie sheet to guard against spillage.
|I had no spillage to guard against.|